Nose picking, baby crying christmas

Nose picking, baby crying christmas

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Where's Bill?

In the fall of 2006, Janet was in Second grade, Riley was in Kindergarten and Lucas was 3. The school that Janet and Riley attended offered sports programs and of course, Janet participated in Cross-Country Running (anything that Daddy does...). The younger kids in the school, from 4th grade down to 1st grade would run in a "Fun Run" and the older kids, grades 5-8 would run for actual times. It was the end of the season and I decided to take the 3 kids and my 7- month pregnant self out to dinner after the meet as a little treat for the kids (and a BIG treat for Mama). Janet wanted to go to the Longhorn Steakhouse (A.K.A. The Big Red Cow) because they have the "best salads and bread and a lot of cool dead animals hanging on the walls". The meal goes off without a hitch; actually it was probably the MOST perfect dining out experience that I have ever had with the kids! Anyway, after about 45 minutes or so, we are ready to go and Janet and Riley need to use the restroom. (I know what you are thinking "ANOTHER bathroom story?" No. Not this time. As Lucas and I are waiting for the girls to return to the table, he begins to get a little antsy and wants to leave NOW. I try to explain to him that we cannot leave until the girls get back and that I have to pay for dinner. Here's how that conversation went:

Luke: "Come on Mama, I want to go home".

Me: "Luke, we have to wait for the girls to get done in the bathroom, I will pay the bill and then we can go".

Luke: (standing on the seat of the booth looking around the restaurant) "I wish those gulls would huwwy up. I want to go home".

Me: "Sit down Luca. Here they are. Now I just have to pay the bill and we can go".

Luke: "I wish he would huwwy up."

Me: "Who? Sit down. You are going to fall. What are you doing?"

Luke: "Where is he?"

Me: "Who?"

Luke: "Bill"

Me: "Bill? Who's Bill?"

Luke: "You know. BILL. The guy. Bill?"

Me: " What? What are you talking about? SIT DOWN!"

Luke: "Oh. There he is."

Now I am getting a little scared. I don't know who this Bill character is, but apparently Lucas seems to and he keeps "seeing" him.

Me: "There who is?"

Luke: " Bill. You know, 'Pay the Bill'? He's right there with the check".

Ah. Of course. The waiter. You see, whenever it is time to leave a restaurant, I usually say, "I have to pay the check". This time, however, I said I needed to "pay the bill". Luke apparently thought in his infinite wisdom of 3 years that the waiter's name must have been ... Pay The Bill. Out of the mouths of babes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment